Last week I upgraded from Kubuntu 9.10 “Karmic Koala” to 10.04 “Lucid Lynx”. The word “upgrade” here is misleading, since I chose to reformat to take advantage of filesystem changes. However, I imported much of my customisations from backup. Here are my notes on Lucid, from the perspective of a long-time Kubuntu user.
You are currently browsing articles tagged rsync.
- install new servers at new location of same or similar model as the old servers, and load them with a basic CentOS install
- rsync oldserver:/ to newserver:/ including customer files
- reboot new server and fix whatever goes wrong (MAC addresses changing, etc)
- move BGP announcement of hosting IP range to new colo
- shut down and remove old servers
The actual process is more complicated. During step 2, I hit a problem with cPanel’s /home/virtfs directory tree.