We are currently moving our customer hosting platform from our old colo to our new one. The servers run cPanel on CentOS 4. The process of moving these services goes something like this:
- install new servers at new location of same or similar model as the old servers, and load them with a basic CentOS install
- rsync oldserver:/ to newserver:/ including customer files
- reboot new server and fix whatever goes wrong (MAC addresses changing, etc)
- move BGP announcement of hosting IP range to new colo
- shut down and remove old servers
The actual process is more complicated. During step 2, I hit a problem with cPanel’s /home/virtfs directory tree.