I’m seeking a new TV. This is a hard problem because my use case is atypical (I can’t imagine why), and because the features that interest me are not in the comparison matrix of most sites.
My user stories:
- I want to watch Plex, Netflix, Youtube, and iPlayer.
- I want a 10-foot interface (sit on sofa, use remote control) for most watching.
- I want to Chromecast/Google Cast at any time. I want the TV to switch automatically from whatever it is doing once casting starts.
- I don’t care about broadcast / freeview. I will never use this.
- I want good sound, and am willing to buy a sound bar.
- I want to play Wii, and will soon upgrade to a Wii U.
- Low latency in TV interface.
- Ability to switch inputs at any time, even when the smart TV interface is booting.
- Doesn’t automatically switch to broadcast/freeview decoding at any time.
- 1080p LED display.
- 3+ HDMI inputs with CEC and at least one with ARC for a sound bar.
- Black or white in colour. Not silver.
Preferred but optional:
- 4K UltraHD
- 4 HDMI inputs, 1 composite (3 RGB+stereo sound)
- USB ports for Chromecast power
Perhaps you have some advice? Please remember that just like job openings, “requirements” means “please meet at least 2/3 of them”.
Barring good recommendations, I think I’ll have to visit some actual shops with my chromecast and hotspot to do some tests. Results forthcoming.